John D Lyon
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Open to relocation
Website: You are on it
john at johndlyon.com, email me for phone or references
Bachelor of Software Engineering majoring in Computer Science, ANU, 2006
Jul 2010 – Present Software Engineer, BMT WBM
Software Engineer in the Products group, researching, designing, developing and deploying OEM automation, planning and safety systems for ports and mining applications.
Design and development of immersive, interactive 3d environments involving complex distributed systems, huge (TB) volumes of lidar, radar, GPS data; anti-collision and machine movement and planning algorithms.
- System and Software architecture for several large distributed automation and safety systems
- Anti-collision system using custom RADAR and LiDAR technologies including real-time signal processing, device management, system logic.
- Standalone computational modelling software for stockpile deposition and reclaim; stockyard, stacker and reclaimer modelling and volumetric simulation.
Aug 2009 – Jun 2010 Operations Analyst, IntelligentComms Edinburgh
Completed several successful end-to-end telecommunications audits for large (global scale) companies. Each involved interfacing with director-level clients, analysis of contracts, call records (100M+) and utilising a proprietary re-price engine.
- Generated significant savings (typical 1MGBP+) for most large clients
- Automated the cleaning and import of data using a combination of MSSQL, Python.
- Developed Software Requirements Specification for new data analysis and front-end data cleaning engine which has since been implemented.
Sep 2008 – Aug 2009 Travelling / Backpacking
Feb 2007 – Sep 2008 Technology Consultant – Capgemini Australia
- IT Planning role with CTO of Federal Government Department reviewing future governance, management and strategic staffing for over AU$1bn worth of IT projects
- Oracle Applications deployment, PL/SQL and data migration responsibilities. Designed and built documentation generator for PL/SQL detailed specifications
- PMO role for AU$1BN+ Public Sector organisational change programme. Included tracking project risks, issues, finances, expenses, deliverable signoff, client management.
Apr 2006 – Dec 2006 Reports Officer, Rhodium Asset Solutions
Designed, built and released bespoke customer invoice generation system based on Microsoft Excel, VBA and Exchange, linking to several other databases, including automated reporting and invoicing
Oct 2005 – Mar 2005 Software Engineering Intern, CEA Technologies
Embedded C and assembly development to successfully port a micro C-based Real-Time Operating System to proprietary hardware for use in a huge variety of embedded applications.
2005, 2006 Significant University Projects, ANU
Project managed a highly successful agile software project creating a SCM metadata application in Ruby and C++. Delivered on time and to specification, passing all Factory Acceptance Tests.
Developed a tablet-based application to streamline the consultation process for General Practitioners, which has gone on to be ported to the iPad
software requirements analysis and design, software quality, configuration management, software development lifecycles, coding & documentation standards, code review
Software Engineering, solution design, requirements solicitation.
Python with: Matplotlib, VTK, twisted, scipy/numpy, Qt, Wx
C++ with: Bullet Physics, OGRE, VTK
Experience with C, C# (Mono), Unity, Java, Android, Ruby, Django, Google App Engine, Node.js, jQuery, CSS/HTML5
Strong MS Office skills, including advanced Excel, Powerpoint